Citizens of any other Member State of the European Union, or countries that are parties to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, as well as of the Swiss Confederation who are planning to reside in Spain for a period exceeding three months, are required to apply for a registration certificate in the Central Register of Foreigners.

To see the list of member states of EU and party states of EEA Agreement, click here.

Students from any other EU/EEA country or Switzerland should complete the registration within three months after the arrival to Spain.

Procedure to obtain the Registration Certificate for EU Citizens.

1. Necessary documents.

  • Valid passport or national ID card.

  • Printed and copied application form EX-18 with all the data filled in as well as your signature.

  • Enrollment certificate of IED Madrid.

  • Accredited proof of having public or private health insurance (in case of public medical insurance p.e. European Health Insurance with validity covering the period of your residence in Spain, which also entitles you to receive adequate health care).

  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover your stay in Spain.

* Documents of other countries should be translated into Spanish or the other official language of the region where you apply.

However, all the standard forms of European Union will not need translation or legalization according to the regulation of the European Community.

On the other hand, any public documents of other countries must have been legalized beforehand (For more information about translation and legalization, see the correspondent information page).

2. Make an appointment online.

  • Foreign Affairs Office appointment online.

  • Click “Madrid”.

  • Click “Certificados UE”.

  • Fill your personal data.

  • Choose a date.

3. Hand in the application documents on your appointment date.

Once you make the appointment, you should go to the following office on your appointment date and hour:

Oficina de Extranjería
Avda. Padre Piquer, 18
Metro: Campamento, Línea 5
See the address on the map

At the same time the application documents are presented, a procedure fee of 10,60 euros needs to be paid before the registration is issued.

4. Complete the Registration Certificate.

Once the procedure fee is paid and all the application documents are confirmed to meet the requirements, the Registration Certificate will immediately be issued, with the your name, nationality, NIE number and registration date on it. For more information, click here.

The Registration Certificate for EU Citizens (NIE, green page) doesn’t have an expiry date so there is no need to renew it. However, in the case that such certificate is lost, stolen or robbed as well as under those circumstances that your marital status or registered address has changed, you need to apply for a modification.

We recommend you to register in the consulate of your country. During your stay in Spain, if you would like to exercise your civil rights of your country, such as vote, etc, or in the case you lose your passport, this registration will facilitate you to obtain the related information and complete the necessary procedure.

For more information you can enter in the following link: European Citizen

Still Life project by Kellie Erm, Fashion Communication One Year Course 2011.

This post is also available in: Spanish