All non-EU students must have a valid passport and a student visa to legally enter Spain. These documents can be applied and obtained at the Spanish Consulate in their country of origin.

To obtain this visa, students will be required:

  • To accredit the admission as students or researchers at an official centre or an authorised public or private centre that is recognised by the Ministry for Education and Culture, where they must carry out their activities in attendance-based programmes lasting at least three months.
  • To provide your study, training or investigation plans.To accredit the payment of partial or the full registration fee in advance (requested by some consulates).
  • To present a housing contract or accommodation certificate with specific location of your residence, dates of your stay as well as the name of the person who will provide you with accommodation and assistance during your stay in Madrid.
  • To prove have sufficient financial ability to cover the daily costs during your studies in Spain and the cost of returning to their country by means of a bank deposit or bank transfer and their provenance, or proof of having received a grant. With regards to the provenance of the financial means, it refers to the obligation of students to prove that the funds used to live in Spain come from their country. Therefore, students must submit proof of the bank transfers made from their country to Spain. Or, if students bring cash, they must have proof that it was acquired in their own country (purchase of euros with their currency).
  • To obtain a medical certificate after a test to accredit that the applicant “is free from any of the epidemic diseases that would cause serious consequences to public health according to international sanitary regulations”.
  • To present a certificate of a background check and criminal record (requested by some consulates).
  • To accredit that you hold a medical insurance covering all the medical and repatriation costs caused by accident or acute disease during your whole stay in Spain.

We recommend that, after enrolling in IED Madrid, you should make an appointment at the Spanish consulate in your country of origin minimum one month and a half in advance before your course begins. The general requirements are mentioned above but each Spanish consulate may have their own specifications.


Types of Student Visa.

Students are given visas for Spain of two types:

  • 90-day D Type Visa.

It is given to students who enroll in programmes of more than 6 months.

(Undergraduate Degree in Design, IED Diplomas, MDI(Masters of Design and Innovation), One-year Masters, One-year courses).

  • 180-day D Type Visa.

It is given to students who enroll in programmes of less than 6 months.

(Intensive Masters and Specialization Courses).


The application for the NIE(Número de Identidad Extranjero) is only required for those students holding a 90-day D Type visa and should be applied within the first month after entering Spain.


* Colombian students. IED Madrid offers a personalised and free service through one of our representatives in Colombia, Family Firm Consulting Ltda., who will advise students on obtaining documents and will request their visa from the Spanish consulate, to reduce as much as possible the number of visa requests that are turned down.


For more information about this service after enrolling in IED Madrid, please contact:


Please Note: once a student has arrived in Spain, it is not possible for them neither to change a 180-day study visa for a multiple entry visa or a visa permitting a longer stay in Spain nor apply for a NIE. You cannot request for a visa extension.That is, in the case that you hold a 180-day D type visa, after finishing the course you would like to stay for a longer time in Spain or enroll in another course, you must return to your home country before the visa expires and apply for a new visa from Spanish consulate. Therefore, we would like to draw your attention on this aspect. Before you request your visa, please get in touch with the Spanish Consulate of your home country if you have any further questions. Visas can only be issued in one’s country of origin or in the country where one legally resides.


For more information:


Ministerio del Interior

This post is also available in: Spanish

This post is also available in: Chinese (Simplified), Spanish